Vladimir Kara-Murza: A known Putin Critic, Poisoned?

Vladimir Kara-Murza (L) alongside Russian opposition leader and former Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov Getty
Vladimir Vladimirovich Kara-Murza (Russian: Влади́мир Влади́мирович Кара́-Мурза́, born 7 September 1981) is a Russian politician and journalist and, since 2012, Senior Policy Advisor at the Institute of Modern Russia. An elected member of the Coordinating Council of the Russian Opposition, he serves on the federal council of the Republican Party of Russia – People's Freedom Party and the Solidarnost pro-democracy movement. Kara-Murza holds an M.A. in history from Cambridge University.

Kara-Murza is a coordinator of the Open Russia Foundation, founded by Mikhail Khodorkovsky. The organization was created with the goal of promoting civil society and democracy in Russia, while revoking Putin's grip on power.

Hours before his flight to Washington, he fell ill and was rushed to a Moscow hospital on 2nd of February and remains in grave condition.

His medical team have diagnosed an “acute intoxication by an unidentified substance”.

"His condition is critical but stable" his wife, Yevgeniya Kara-Murza said in an interview with AFP.
There has so far been no confirmation of foul play but the activist's wife said samples have been sent to laboratories in France and Israel to ascertain the origin of the poisoning after tests in Russia revealed "nothing".

“There are unfortunately many people very irritated with my husband’s activities, so it’s very hard to determine who exactly could be behind both attacks, or one of them,” Ms Kara-Murza added.

Earlier on 2015, Mr. Kara-Murza also got sick and was allegedly diagnosed as having been poisoned. No definite cause was ever established for Mr Kara-Murza’s illness in 2015, but both he and his wife believe it was intentional poisoning.

Speaking in 2016, Mr Kara-Murza said he had “no doubt” his ordeal two years ago was a “deliberate poisoning aimed to kill”, and that it was politically motivated. 

“I was a healthy 33-year-old man. Suddenly, when all of your major organs shut down within 24 hours, one after another – that doesn't just happen,” he told RFE.

At the moment, doctors are still trying to wake him up from his coma by lowering the dosage of his medications.

Powered by Blogger.