One of the world’s most favorite foods is marshmallows. However, those store marshmallows can do more harm than good to our body due to the reason that they are often packed with plenty of unhealthy benefits.
Even if they are free of fat, what really jeopardizes our health is the high refined sugar and artificial substances present on it.
Specifically, a cup of mini marshmallow contains 29 grams of sugar and we usually eat it for dessert! And it’s really horrifying to know that the recommended sugar dose is only 10 grams
Health Risks of Refined Sugar
According to any studies, an exposure on too much refined sugar can negatively affect the performance of the brain and can also cause memory loss.
Additionally, consuming too much sugar can kill one’s desire to eat healthy. Meaning, we forget to eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains because we focus on the sugar alone.
Refined sugar can lead to various health problems, among which are:
Insulin resistance and diabetes
Various cancers, especially pancreatic cancer
Healthy Marshmallow Recipe
Fortunately, it’s not always that marshmallows have to be a red alert food. You can have homemade marshmallows with healthy and natural ingredients that would not give a negative effect on the body.
Here’s a quick recipe for homemade marshmallows:
1 1/2 tbsp. grass-fed gelatin (or agar-agar for a vegan option)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cold water
1/8 Tsp. salt
1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract
1. Grease a loaf pan well. Set parchment paper with the ends slightly hanging outside of the pan.
2. Transfer water to a medium bowl. Add gelatin and set aside to soften and blend.
3. Add the salt, honey and ¼ cup of water to the pan. Set it on medium heat. Increase temperature to 240 degrees for around 7-8 minutes to do so. Afterwards, turn the heat off and set aside.
4. Slowly pour the hot syrup into gelatin mixture and mix with a low-speed mixture. Add vanilla and turn mixer on fast speed. Mix from 12 to 15 minutes, until everything thickens well.
5. Leave the pan from 4 to 12 hours to dry. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Coconut Marshmallows: Toast ½ cup of coconut flakes, and place ½ of them on the bottom of the pan.
Cocoa Version: After marshmallows are prepared, roll them in cocoa powder.